I’m talking about the one powerful word that can help you achieve your goals. I’m sharing how I set a word for the year each year, and what it has helped me bring about. I’m talking about the thinking behind it and how you can set your own word for the year.
The one powerful word that can help you achieve your goals
For the last 3-4 years, I’ve set myself a word of the year. 3 out of 4 of those years the word was fabulous. I think it’s a great word and it sums up how I want every area of my life to be. Last year I thought it would be better to create one simple word for my goals, a word that would encapsulate every part of my life.
Last year’s word was simplicity. Let me explain what that word meant for me – I am a great believer in KISS’ing. Keeping It Simple Sweetie. I’ve always wanted to be one of those people that didn’t overcomplicate things, but I found myself naturally gravitating to adding yet more and more to my plate in both life and business over time.
For me, simplicity in my business was about setting up systems and automation to make my business run more smoothly. It was about getting clearer on what I was offering and to who, making sure everything worked well together, and also in isolation. It was about working on just ONE THING (If you like this idea then you have to read the book One Thing by Gary Keller – it really changed how I do things). When you only focus on one thing you not only get things done, you also avoid all of that overwhelm because it’s just one thing to do and then you can move onto the next things.
- To simplify, I got really clear on my working days/times and set very clear boundaries. I take Fridays off now and only work weekends if I choose to
- I reduced the amount of time on social media (that one is still a challenge – I might not be online at the weekends, other than a quick check in, but I’m definitely twitching at the thought of being unplugged for more than a few minutes!)
- I started using MIT’s each day – where I simply focus on my top most important tasks
- I signed up for Sanebox* – a way to organise your emails (Oh wow! That seriously works!)
And In life…
- I reflect each day on what’s worked, what’s not and adapt accordingly (I use my Grid Diary journal)
- I make time to play and the key word there really is ‘make’ as it doesn’t come naturally to me. I LOVE what I do and find it hard to switch off but I realised that I needed to feed my creative side and play. I thought it would affect my business, and it has – it’s made it better as I no longer crash and burn
- I simplified my self-care routines – I now have a list of things I can do, and I choose from them. Before when I was in the self-care zone it almost turned into a military operation – where’s the fun in that?!
- By simplifying I now have more time with my family, more time to read, more time to create and things flow.
If I hadn’t spent time coming up with that word a lot of that might not have happened.
As with simplicity, we can often overcomplicate our goals. Sometimes we can feel too restrained by the goals we set in place, and if we don’t get the results we long for our goals can eventually fall by the wayside.
Setting a one word for the year goal can be really empowering
It helps you to keep focused. You can decide if something aligns with that one word, or if it doesn’t, and then make decisions based on that information.
For 2016, my one powerful word is going to be CONNECTION. It took a while for me to figure out what I wanted it to be. I knew I wanted to bring in more fun but I also wanted it to be all encompassing like my year for 2015.
So what does connection mean for me;
- Firstly, it’s one of my top values. I love connecting with people (always a good thing if you can connect it to your values)
- I want to connect more with my family (so evenings are now going to be the exception, rather than the norm when it comes to client work)
- I want to connect with my friends. I’m often so busy I don’t have time to squeeze in fun, lazy lunches or meet ups. That’s going to be changing this year
- I want to connect people with each other – I love introducing people to each other. I do this already, but want to do more of it
- I want to connect with an audience, as a public speaker, so this means I need to do some work on my public speaking. I’m used to speaking in front of smaller audiences but I want to aim higher now
- I want to connect with my creative side more, with my crafts. I’ve done a bit more card-making and handicrafts, but want to build on that more as it’s a really great way for me to get out of my head and live in the present
- I want to connect more with nature, more outdoor walks in different places
The list goes on. Can you see how one word can actually inspire you to do so many things without necessarily having to sit down and work through a million and one pieces of paper to get there? Don’t get me wrong, I’m a coach, I love goal setting and planning, but sometimes we can just KISS. Setting our intentions with one all-encompassing word can be all you need.
If you like this idea then check out the website, One Word 365.com
So how do you do it? The way I do it is this…
Ask yourself these questions;
- What do you want more of in your life?
- Who’s important to you?
- What’s important to you?
- How would you like to feel each day? (remember to link to your values if you can)
Make one word your focus this year and see where it takes you!
As they say on One Word 365.com – One word. 365 days. A changed life.
* Please note – Sanebox is an affiliate link. I only share links to companies that I have personally used/use and think are totally worth sharing.
Thank you for being part of my community. If you’re new here, then you may not know that I offer monthly training masterclasses to all of my newsletter subscribers. Each month I roll out different training content around 5 key areas:
- Leadership (Being the Queen aka CEO of your business, stepping up as a leader)
- Business mastery (i.e. selling, launching, pricing, boundaries etc.)
- Mindset (thinking like a Queen)
- Creativity (content creation – how to create training, creating content, writing etc.)
- Woo (I love a bit of Law of Attraction to help you manifest your goals).
If you’d like some business support and inspiration sign up for your complimentary copy of my super popular Create Content Like a Queen masterclass and learn how to create content without burning yourself out. You’ll also receive my newsletter with lots of business tips and strategies, plus information about monthly masterclasses.