Have you ever set a goal that you reach only to find it isn’t really what you thought it would be?
This can happen so often in business.
One big thing that comes up with a lot of my clients is where they think they want a particular type of business and then wish they’d done something completely different.
It can be easy to fall into the trap of doing a business to ‘chase the money’, but if that chasing the money doesn’t bring happiness, you may as well go and get a ‘proper job’. Today we’re going to do some funky goal setting. Let’s make those goals exciting and enticing.
Whenever I chat with clients/potential clients I take them through 5 steps to getting clarity around their business model. I start by asking them to really connect with what they are passionate about. We then explore if their passion matches their skill set and then we’ve got a better foundation to work from.
So often people start building programmes for who they think they ‘should’ work with, instead of doing the ground work to ensure they have the passion in the first place and are really clear on who their dreamie clients are and what they’re struggling with.
It’s time to do a bit of FUNKY goal setting.
F is for FABULOUS
Your goal needs to totally excite you and I mean really have you feeling exhilarated inside. You’re not going for mediocre here, you’re going all out and aiming as high as you can, stretching up on your tiptoes to see how amazing your future can be, once you can just squeeze outside of your comfort zone. If it’s not feeling fabulous, why? What can you do to tweak it so that it thrills the life out of you? Who do you look at and think, ‘I wish my life was like that’? Use those feelings to guide you in your decision to set goals. Sometimes jealousy can be a good indicator of what you really want. If you’re jealous of someone else, it can show you what you really desire.
What will it mean to you to achieve this goal? How will life/you be different when you reach it?
That little nagging voice saying to you, ‘Yeah, well this is all well and good but you didn’t make it last time’, or ‘How do you know it will work?,’ or ‘It’s too big a goal for you, you don’t deserve it.’ Kick those naughty mindset monkeys into touch. That’s your fear talking and the sooner you work through it the quicker you will realise your goals.
U is for UNSHAKEABLE • Be REALLY clear about what your goal is, use all of your senses to figure it out. What will it look like, feel like, smell like, taste like?
• Your goal needs to be exactly that… YOUR goal, not someone else’s goal for you
• Thinking about your role model what it is that they do consistently that gets them that life that you desire?
• Plan out the steps you need to put into place to make sure this absolutely happens
• Write down what/who would get in your way of achieving your goal
• Be real here, if you want to be an international swimmer and you’re scared of water it may take a bit longer to get there, but it doesn’t mean you can’t – it’s all about small changes
• Build in contingency plans – life doesn’t always go according to plan, we might be too tired/busy/poorly so build in that extra time to cover it so that you still remain on course
• Assume it’s yours, you’ve achieved it! Trick your mind into thinking it’s already yours and you will be amazed at how things change N is for NOW ACTIONS speak louder than words
• There’s no point just writing down your goals (did I say that written goals are much more effective) and taking no action. You have to DO something about them
• Yes there may be challenges along the way, but these can provide you with valuable feedback and opportunities to grow
• Stop putting it off. It may feel scary but when you’re looking back at your life when you’re 80 which was worse, fear or regret?
• An overused (but still good) quote is that a dream without a deadline is just an idea, so once you’ve set your goal, made it unshakeable, work on when you are going to get it done by and set some mini steps to get there.
• Go out there and make it happen… Start NOW K is for KEEP – KEEP AT IT • Every single day I want you to take one small step towards your goal, even if only 10-15 minutes
• Commit now, ‘I will spend 10-15 minutes every day working towards… / growing my business’ etc
• Sometimes the hardest part is just starting – by doing a small amount each day it gets easier because your confidence grows and your momentum kicks in
• Often once you start you find yourself doing more and more because you enjoy it
• Build in accountability – who will ensure you stay focused / check in with you to see how you’re doing / help you work out what’s next?
• Create a network of support around you so that on those days you want to give up someone will be there cheering you on to keep going (friends are great, but it’s actually better if it’s a business buddy / colleague / coach or action group)
So keep at it, every single day and you will start to see results!
This is the YES of commitment.
You’ve set your goal, it’s FABULOUS, it’s unshakeable, you’re going to take action NOW, you plan to keep the momentum going and it’s time to 100% commit and say YES ! I CAN and WILL do this.
If you want things to stay the same then do nothing. If you want things to change commit now, to yourself (in writing if it helps). You can set as many amazing goals as you like, but if you don’t commit to following through on them they are just meaningless lists.
Commit to your goals and set your intentions and then watch the magic happen.
Is it FABULOUS?
Is it UNSHAKEABLE?
What can you start NOW?
How will you KEEP the momentum going? Say YES, commit to your goal 100% With all of this in mind, check in with yourself. Is this really a goal you want to be chasing? If not, then that’s what you’ve got to change first.
Join my free FB community to connect with me and other fabulous solopreneurs to help you Rock Your Fabulous Biz.