In this blog post, I will share how it’s important to check in on your business weaknesses if you want to build a strong business.
Join my free FB community to connect with me and other fabulous solopreneurs to help you Rock Your Fabulous Biz.
What’s your favourite story? Maybe it’s one that you were told when you were little. Maybe it’s one you share any time you get together with new friends.
We know that storytelling is a huge thing now in the business world. People love a good story, so it’s a great thing to include as part of your overall marketing strategy.
When we read/listen to stories, we connect on lots of different levels.
Storytelling is powerful on so many levels:
- The emotional connection is much quicker with a story vs a promotional post
- They create engagement
- Stories allow people to get to know you/your personality
- They can be real or made up – Think of some of the best Christmas ads – there are stories of monsters,animals, time with family and more
- Neuroscience has proven that it’s an effective communication tool
- We just like them!
Where do you start?
- Get to know your dreamies
- Put yourself in their shoes, what do they need to know?
- What are they reading?
- What stories do they share
- You need a good idea so get creative
- Make sure it’s a solid story that will make people want to
- Write a list of 100 brainstorming ideas of what you could share – past experiences, challenges, life lessons etc.
- Use a mind map, post-it notes, a notebook to capture all of the information
- Write a word and explore it – let it take you on a journey – i.e. “Divorce”
- Add in sensory experience to build the story
- Not just shoes, but red high-heels with a big bow on the side
- Tap into all of the senses – what could you see, hear, feel, taste, smell (aka visual, auditory, kinaesthetic, olfactory and gustatory in the NLP world)
- Think about how you can get your tribe to engage with you (build a connection back to them)
- Know what the KEY message of your story is
- Here’s where I was/my client was > Here’s where I am/my client is now
- What is the main idea you want to get across
- Share your personal stories
- Where were you?
- Where are you now?
- How did you get from there to here?
- What was the turning point for you? That moment of clarity
- Extra tips
- Think about how your story can inspire, educate, inform your dreamie clients
- Think of it like a conversation when you meet a friend in town or over a coffee
- Talk in first person, as in “I did this…” It creates better rapport
- Remember to always have a call to action
I hope that’s got your creative juices flowing, and you’re ready to start writing stories for your business. It’s a skill, so allow yourself the space and time to practice it. I’m still learning, and know that with each one you write you feel a bit more confident.
Call to Action: Have a play and tag me in some stories you’ve written and shared as a result of reading this blog post.
If you’d like a recap of all of this for future reference then you can get a copy of my free PDF that supports this blog post, and gives you a simple 4-step storytelling template and 20 storytelling post ideas. Just click here for more details.
Remember to check out my Visibility Quiz to find out whether you’re a Visibility Lady, Countess, Princess or Queen. If you’re a guy then please change the names to Lord, Count, Prince and King) Once you’ve got your score I’d love for you to come on over to my pinned post on my business page and tell me what score you got. There’s a chance to win a little prize each month.
Also, I would love to interview Ladies, Countesses, Princesses & Queens on my podcast show, Rock Your Fabulous Biz. I’ll be asking you all about what you do on visibility right now, what’s working for you, what’s not and where you’d like to be. If you’re interested then apply for your spot here – http://bit.ly/PodVisQuiz. In order for your application to be considered, you’ll need to have completed the quiz though as I’ll need to know what you’ve scored etc.
PS. You don’t need to be a Queen on your own. If you want support, check out my Straighten Your Crown Sessions here. More info in the show notes.