If you’re reading this, then take it as your sign that you’re meant to be stepping up as Queen of your business, the leader.
Leading is about being confident, having a sense of surety about you. There are many different types of leaders. You can be autocratic, democratic, laissez-faire, direct, coaching, supportive, bureaucratic, to name just a few.
There are also many different traits that you perceive a good leader has to have, i.e. integrity, compassion, vision, self-awareness, communication skills etc.
If you prefer to listen to this post, click here to listen on iTunes or this for Stitcher
In my Queen of Business Mastermind groups, we have a really fun session where the Queenies spend some time exploring the traits of a Queen, and then we define what skills and qualities they need to develop/embody. They choose who their Queen of inspiration is. It’s amazing how different everyone perception of being a Queen is so varied.
The beauty of running your own business is that you get to define the role.
What characteristics do you think make a good queen?
Here’s a list of some of the things I like to think make you a good Queen.
1. Queens are visionaries and influencers. You think strategically and are willing to try new ways of doing things. You inspire others to think and dream bigger. You are a trailblazer, not willing to always follow the crowd, but defining how you want to carve out your business and life.
2. Queens lead by example – You’ve spent time perfecting your craft, and act as an inspiration to others. You don’t just teach people what they should do, you do it yourself first, and then share your experiences of it.
3. Queens are committed. You’re committed to your business and the work it involves. You’re also committed to taking action, walking the talk, and being accountable. You know you will never be perfect (perfection doesn’t exist), yet keep being the best person you can be with your knowledge, skills and attributes. You have a winning attitude.
4. Queens act with integrity – You are trustworthy – You do what you say you are going to do, honouring your commitments. You speak your truth with kindness, even if it feels uncomfortable. You’re clear on your values, and what you will and won’t tolerate within your boundaries.
You are authentic in everything you do. Part of this integrity is your willingness to be vulnerable, in order to connect with your people. While this may not come naturally, you keep developing the skills so that it becomes easier with time. You have high standards and know it’s better to under promise and over-deliver.
5. Queens are strong decision-makers. You aren’t afraid to stand up for what you believe in – You are true to yourself. You make a decision and stick to it, knowing when to change the plan if it’s not working.
You know you need to be decisive. Even if that decisiveness means going back to your best friend, mastermind group etc. to help you make a quick decision. You know you need to behave in a way that shows you as a leader, not a follower. That confidence sets you apart.
6. Queens believe in themselves and others – Your knees might be knocking, yet you don’t let that stop you. You push through your comfort zones. You know you have an abundance of tools and resources available to you. You might lack confidence from time to time, yet you do the inner work to overcome any of those obstacles that might get in the way.
You learn how to build your confidence muscles. You don’t waiver when you speak, you are clear, succinct, decisive and authoritative.
7. Queens take responsibility – For your actions, for the mistakes you make. You don’t blame others, but take responsibility. You are solution, rather than problem-focused, and as such you acknowledge failure, and then use the feedback to catapult you further forward.
The beauty of all of these traits, and any that you believe you need as a Queen, is that you can adopt them. Your royal duty is to show your people by leading by example, being a model of transformation, sharing your experience, your hopes and dreams, so that they can be inspired by you to be their best selves.
Embody the Queen you want to be, allowing your skills to expand and change over time.
You get to decide – What type of leader, aka Queen, would you like to be?
PS. You don’t need to be a Queen on your own. If you want support, check out my Straighten Your Crown Sessions.